Living an active lifestyle is a huge aspect behind building a Kū body. Being active can not only make you feel and look better, but it can also increase energy levels, productivity, improve your health, and even allow you to rest better.
Here are 10 ways to help you create a more active lifestyle starting TODAY:
1. Rise and Shine: There’s nothing like waking up and working up a good sweat before you start the day. You can enjoy going for a run, lift weights, yoga, meditate, do mobility work, and the list goes on. The main thing, is for you to get your body moving and enjoy the increased energy for the rest of the day.
2. Park Far and Take the Stairs Personally, I’m not a huge fan of crowded parking lots. I prefer to park far away rather than wait for a stall that is closer. You can lessen the stress in parking lots by parking at the end of the row where no one wants to park and take a short stroll. Taking the stairs instead of riding the elevator or escalator whenever possible as well.
3. Walk: I wrote an article, Running for Weight-Loss: Is there a Better Way? where I talk about the importance of starting off with walking. You can walk in the morning, during your lunch, or even to work. I remember when I was living in California, I walked or rode my bike to work every day.
4. Yoga: I’ll admit, yoga is a great way to get your body moving in ways you aren’t used to and strengthen your postural muscles. Go at a steady pace because the last thing you want to do is injure yourself from trying some cool-looking pose.
5. Nutrition: Having a healthy diet is essential to an active lifestyle. They go hand in hand. Also, just because you exercise or become more active doesn’t justify the option of grabbing a burger and fries because you feel you earned it.
6. Sleep and Rest: Studies have shown that 65% of Americans are overweight and around 65% don’t get enough sleep. Do you see a connection there? Making sure you get adequate sleep and rest is important to keeping your energy levels up in order to want to exercise.
7. Become More Active at Your Desk: The majority of us spend a lot of time behind a desk. So, make it a point to become more active. Create a stand-up desk, walk around the office, or do any of these 7 exercises of a desk job.
8. Get Outside: Hang out with your friends doing outdoor activities; hiking, beach, stand up paddling, biking, basketball, or a friendly bootcamp meet-up in the park. You can also enjoy these things on your own if you prefer.
9. Avoid Injury: Be smart when you begin creating an active lifestyle. The last you want to do is injure yourself. If you are lifting weights or doing anything fitness related, take it slow and work on correct technique of movements. Work on improving your mobility and flexibility as well.
10. Have fun: I always have to mention this, because too many people look at becoming more active as a burden. We were given bodies to move, run, lift, and be active. It’s our natural instinct. We were not created to sit on our asses. Being active brings a whole new energy to your life as well as a new perspective.
What other ways can you think of that can help others create an active lifestyle? Leave them in the comments below.